First Campaign Finance Reports for the 2020 Election Cycle Due Today!
Texas candidates and PACs are required to submit reports of all their contributions and expenditures for the first half of 2019 to the Texas Ethics Commission (TEC) today. These reports are effectively the first window into political money for 2020. The TEC will likely release those reports sometime later this week. The minute they do, we will be hard at work to clean up the data and make it easily searchable for you.
What Will We Be Watching?
- Contributions – who’s raking in the cash, and who’s not?
- Expenditures – Who was a good steward of their campaign cash, and who spent it like a drunken sailor?
- How much money came from heavy hitter donors and well-funded PACs vs. how much came from small-dollar donors?
- Are rich “fat cats” “buying” Texas? And if so, who are they?
- Exactly how important are the small-dollar donors?
- There are 28 Texas House districts that could potentially flip from one party to the other in 2020. Who’s raising the most campaign cash in those races? And where’s the money coming from?
What Would You Like to Know?
Our mission is to make it easy for you to find the answers you need about the money in Texas politics. Tell us what you would like to know when these reports are released. How can we help you hold your representatives accountable and ensure that Texas remains transparent, free, and prosperous. Join us!